Located in central Tucson on the campus of the University of Arizona, Arizona Stadium has
been home to Wildcat football since 1928. Initially, stadium capacity was 7,000, with
seating located on the stadium's west side. Arizona's first game at the facility was October
12, 1929 when the Wildcats defeated Caltech 35-0. Capacity was raised to 10,000 in 1938
when seats were constructed on the east side of the stadium. Additional seating was
added to both end zones in 1947. This added an additional 4,000 seats. In 1950, a
horseshoe configuration was constructed around the south end zone resulting in the
addition of almost 8,700 seats. A multi-level press box and 10,000 seats were added to the
west grandstand in 1965. The east side of the stadium received a second tier, consisting
of 17,000 seats, in 1976. In 1981, the track team moved out and the track was removed.
Permanent seating was placed at the north end of the end zone in 1988. Following the
1988 season, a new press box with luxury sky boxes replaced the aging structure built
more than two decades earlier. Prior to the 1999 season, a new state-of-the-art
scoreboard was installed complete with video monitor. Today the facility seats 57,803.
In addition to hosting football games, the stadium also includes two dormitories, Pinal and
Navajo, in the South stands, and Sierra Hall, which today is home to offices for the music
department and Residence Life, located in the west stands.